Sunday, November 27, 2016

Generosity! A Christmas lesson in giving.

It is important for students to consider giving, not just receiving, over Christmas.  Here is a guidance lesson for older elementary students:

  • Engage - I started by asking students if they had ever received a special gift they would never forget, then I showed them my box of notes and treasures I had received from teachers and students in my past, including a painted pet rock, scribbled notes, and drawings.  
  • Brainstorm - I asked students to consider things they could give this Christmas, noting that there is great joy in being able to give.  Also, it doesn't feel good to want and want all the time.  Also, I acknowledged they they probably do not have credit cards or bank accounts.  What did they have to give? 
  • Summary - Then I summed up their responses with time (spending time with a loved one, helping them, chores, etc.), talents (singing, drawing, making someone smile), and treasures (donate old toys, clothes, canned goods.)
  • Modeling generosity - We talked about acts of generosity and I showed these videos.  
Could you give up a ball?  How did he feel when he gave it away? Do you do the right thing, even if you don't know who is watching?

(For more information on Beary Christmas, click here. )

  • Acting on generosity - Finally, I asked students if they wanted to do a random act of generosity?  Of course they did! I passed out this paper and instructed students to go to one of the websites:
    • The first was FreeRice.com, which  (I incorporated a non-holiday themed website for those who do not celebrate Christmas or holidays.)
    • Or students could write a letter to Santa (most played along even if, you know...) at Macy's.  Macy's donates $1 to Make-a-Wish for each letter written. Here's the link.

  • Together, small acts of generosity make a big difference! Students turned in their paper slips at the end of class.  I tallied it all up, and at the last assembly in December, I announced how much money and rice we generated for the sick and hungry.  We all cheered!  Yay for generosity! 



No comments:

Post a Comment